THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1231242
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, BRIDGE END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231242.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:13:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, BRIDGE END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Ripponden
National Grid Reference:
SE 04113 19780

Details

SE 0419 RIPPONDEN (former U.D.) BRIDGE END, Ripponden

The Church of 9/20 St Bartholomew _

GV II

Church, 1868. Hammer dressed stone, stone slate roof. Nave, aisles, transceptal chapels and south-west corner tower, chancel. Gothic Revival. 3 stage tower set in 1st bay of aisle has angle buttresses with offsets. Doorway in 1st stage, clock set between 2nd and 3rd stage which has 2-light belfry window with plate tracery and quatrefoil. Broached octagonal spire with lucarnes in the principal faces. 5-bay aisle with pointed arched 3-light windows with flowing tracery with buttresses set between. 3-light clear-storey windows alternate with arched light. Transepts have coped gables and pointed arched tracery window. 2-bay chancel under lower roof line with large east window of 5 lights with flowing tracery. Present church 4th to be built on site. 1st by Royal Charter Edward IV, 1464; next 1610 and 1729.

Interior: 5-bay nave with pointed arches to arcade carried on clustered colonnettes. 6-bay arch-braced roof. Carved reredos with arcades with painted panels of the Apostles. Good carved pulpit in Gothic Revival style. Victorian stained glass windows. Some wall tablets from earlier church; one of some distinction with carved urn to John Howarth of Bridge Royd, Soyland who died 1804.

Listing NGR: SE0411319780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406343
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03583/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].