Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of STOURTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232008.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:24:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Staffordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 85922 84931


KINVER C.P. STOURTON SO 88 SE 11/102 Stourton Castle (formerly listed under Bridgenorth Road) 10.1.73 GV II Large house on the site of a medieval castle. The house incorporates some late Medieval and C16 works but was remodelled and partly rebuilt in 1832-33 in a late Gothic style by James Foster from designs by Sir Robert Smirke. Red brick; plain tile roofs with shaped gables; brick stacks. Main front of 1832-3 to the west, incorporating a late Medieval gate tower; C16 ranges to the north, south and east enclose the other 3 sides of a formerly open courtyard which was roofed over by Foster. West front: 2 storeys with moulded brick parapet band and plain parapet. 1:3:1 bays; central range recessed between flanking gabled wings, mullioned and transomed casements with raised surrounds, windows of central range have small gables over with psuedo-arrow slits matching those of the wings. Central 3 storey gate-tower with moulded off-sets and crenellated parapet; rendered and lined as ashlar; pointed entrance with moulded surround, second storey window has 2 trefoil-headed lights under a segmental pointed arch. In the re-entrant angles between central range and flanking wings are diagonally placed 2-storey bays with parapets and windows of 2 round-headed lights; the left hand bay has a 4-centred doorway. Interior: totally remodelled 1832-3. Plaster fan vaulted entrance with figure corbels; the courtyard is now an entrance hall with Tudor-style stone fireplace. V.C.H. Vol. XX (1984), pp. 130-2.

Listing NGR: SO8592284931


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1984), 130-2


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].