STONE COFFIN 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHANCEL WALL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232036
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
STONE COFFIN 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHANCEL WALL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232036.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 00:37:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
STONE COFFIN 2 METRES SOUTH OF SOUTH CHANCEL WALL OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 42243 50495

Details

NZ 45 SW SEAHAM CHURCH LANE (South side) 2/30 Stone coffin 2 metres south of south chancel wall of Church of St. Mary II



Limestone coffin with coped grave cover. Possibly C14. The grave cover is said to have borne inscription: HIC IACET RICARDVS MILES DE IHELAND in Lombardic capitals, though this inscription is now illegible. John De Yeland was rector of Seaham in 1279, and in 1349 William De Yeland held from the Bishop of Durham half of the Manor of Seaham.

Listing NGR: NZ4224050491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407353
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].