CHURCH OF ST HILDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232156
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILDA, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232156.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:53:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILDA, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 36105 67063

Details

1. 5102 MARKET PLACE Church of St Hilda NZ 3667 SW 4/41 27.2.50 II

2. Tower C18. Body of church rebuilt 1810-11. Ashlar, hipped slate roof. Two tiers of windows, the lower ones tall, the upper ones small "clearstory", all with semi-circular hoods. Apse with 3 lights. Tuscan doorcase to former entrance in centre of north wall. West tower has rusticated quoins, contains semi-circular headed west door. Above this a circular window, then 2 stages with louvred belfry openings, finally a clock. pyramidal slate roof behind parapet. To either side of tower, vestry with "Venetian" window and external stairs to gallery. Interior a single space with galleries supported on cast iron columns. Font 1675 by Robert Trollop, Gilt chandelier 1802. Model of lifeboat 1802 suspended from ceiling. Organ case J F Bentley 1865-6. The church, the parish church of South Shields is said to be on the site of a chapel founded by St Aidan circa AD 647 and placed in charge of St Hilda.

Listing NGR: NZ3610567063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407494
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00865/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].