Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232171 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:15:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 88553 37937


STANHOPE ST. JOHN'S CHAPEL NY 8837 38/258 Church of St. John 31.1.67 the Baptist GV II Parish church. 1752, on site of medieval chapel; chancel extended 1881-3 by Ewan Christian. Varied stone rubble with ashlar dressings;ashlar west front and tower; chamfered plinth, and quoins. Roof of graduated Lakeland slates with stone gable copings. West tower; galleried nave; chancel with north vestry. 3-stage tower, the first stage quoined and the third with angle pilasters, has 6-panelled double west door, and fanlight with radial glazing bars, in round- headed surround with key and impost blocks. Similar surrounds to windows in second stage below cornice and paired, round-headed bell openings, with painted round clock set on west pair. Side elevations have square-headed raised stone surrounds to ground-floor windows, and round-headed surrounds with key and impost blocks to gallery windows. Chancel has similar windows and round-headed south door. Most windows have broad glazing bars; (pictorial glass in some gallery windows and in east window). Gallery floor-level band. Pyramidal tower roof has slightly swept eaves; east stone cross finial. Wide stone gutter at ground level.

Interior: painted plaster above rough-rendered dado; tooled ashlar dressings. Plaster nave ceiling with central coved section between columns; wood-panelled barrel-vaulted chancel. Gallery removed. 2 tall Tuscan columns in each aisle have tooled lower sections on chamfered plinths; round, keyed chancel arch on impost blocks and pilasters; similar treatment to inner west door and blocked window above. South chancel medallion glass in memory of Rev. James Green, 1867, signed Ox and Son, London in Maltese cross. Pulpit had fielded panels and dentilled cornice on moulded stone base. Early C19 chamber organ, by Nicholson of Newcastle. Memorials include whitemarble scroll on black mount to members of Robson family, signed G. Maile and Son, Euston Road, London; brass in Gothic frame, dated 1912, to Lieutenant John Brumwell, 1785-1812, who died in the Peninsular War. C18 painted creed and commandment panels flank chancel arch, and pater board above.

Listing NGR: NY8855337937


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04564/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].