CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232216
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, STOTFIELD BURN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:58:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, STOTFIELD BURN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanhope
National Grid Reference:
NY 94285 42299

Details

STANHOPE STOTFIELD BURN NY 94 SW Rookhope

10/277 Church of St. John the Evangelist GV II Parish church,1905 by Caroë and Passmore, replacing 1822-4 church on lower site beside burn. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with south porch; chancel with south vestry and organ chamber. Gabled porch has deeply-chamfered open round arch; boarded inner door. Round-headed narrow windows in buttressed bays of nave and 3 similar windows in west end and in south gable of vestry. 3-light east window. Low-pitched roof has gabled west bellcote above overhanging gabled bellcote.

Interior: stone with ashlar dressings; arch-braced collar-beam roof with wind braces. Round arch to chancel and chamfered round arch to organ; wide segmental arch over sedilia. Simple octagonal stone pedestal font with ogee-shaped C17 wood cover. Memorials to Featherstone family, removed from former church: white marble oval on black mount, to Mrs Ann Featherstone died 1834 and buried in Church of St. John, Newcastle; and high-relief Featherstone arms in wood.

Listing NGR: NY9428542299

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407553
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10963/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].