CHURCH OF ST HILD AND ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232269
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILD AND ST HELEN, MELBURY STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILD AND ST HELEN, MOUNT STEWART STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232269.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 00:48:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILD AND ST HELEN, MELBURY STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HILD AND ST HELEN, MOUNT STEWART STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 42959 48284

Details

NZ 44 NW SEAHAM MOUNT STEWART STREET (South side)

4/32 Church of St. Hild and 21.6.50 St. Helen (Formerly listed as II Church, of St. Hilda and St. Helen)

Large parish church. 1912 by W.H. Wood. Orange-red industrial brick in English garden wall bond; moderate-pitch green slate roofs.Basilican plan with altar orientated towards south; aisled nave, narthex, Lady Chapel to ritual north of altar and Choir and Vicar's vestries to south. Italian Romanesque style with round-arched openings and Lombard frieze below eaves and gables of nave.

Ritual west end; low projecting narthex with entrances in left and right returns; flanking aisles with lean-to roofs; gabled nave has 4 pilaster buttresses and central rose window. 8-bay aisles, defined by stepped buttresses,have single lancets above sill band; clerestory has round windows in stepped reveals under continuous, chamfered hoodmould. Ritual east end: central semicircular apse; projecting single- storey Lady Chapel to right has smaller apse and 2-bay right return with 2 paired lancets and entrance porch; single-storey Choir vestry to left has 3 small lancets and canted corner with doorway to right. Gabled, 2-storey Vicar's vestry to rear of Choir vestry projects from nave and has square bellcote with louvred belfry, pyramidal roof and vane.

Interior: Baptistry in narthex has Romanesque-style font with cylindrical shaft and deeply carved bowl. Rose window above baptistry installed 1915 in memory of 6th Marquess of Londonderry. Arcade on square brick piers has 7 arches of 2 orders with a smaller arch towards baptistry. The two eastern bays form the chancel. Carved arches and pulpits at either side form part of projected choir side screens which were never completed (source: signed designs which are kept in the church). Clerestory has continuous hoodmould over windows. Aisles have brick transverse arches. Sanctuary and Lady Chapel have hemispherical domed apses. Organ loft to right defined by single tall arch breaking into clerestory. Roof has 7 trusses with arch-braced beams and arcading above.

Low area walls of brick with chamfered sandstone coping, plain cast-iron railings and 2 pairs of gate piers with scalloped pyramidal caps to north and east of church.

Listing NGR: NZ4295948284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407590
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].