CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232272
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232272.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 23:47:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 41065 49827

Details

NZ 44 NW SEAHAM STATION ROAD (North side)

4/39 Christ Church

II



Parish church. 1857 by P.C.Hardwick for Frances Anne, Marchioness of Londonderry. South aisle added 1862. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and steeply-pitched Welsh slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and north vestry. Gothic Revival style with Geometrical tracery.

Chamfered stone plinth. 4-bay nave has angle-buttressed west end with 5-light window in double-chamfered reveal. Tall, 2-stage bellcote with 3 lancets surmounted by cross. Aisles have groups of 2 and 3-light trefoil-headed lancets. Projecting gabled south porch has flanking stepped buttresses, doorway in pointed arch of 3 orders under hoodmould and group of 3 quatrefoils under pointed hoodmould in gable. Slightly lower, single-bay chancel has diagonally-buttressed east end with 5-light window under pointed hoodmould. Projecting north vestry has 3-light window with stepped, trefoil-headed lancets.

Interior: spacious; nave arcade has 3 chamfered, pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases, smaller pointed arch at west end; waggon roof to nave has closely spaced braces; tall double-chamfered, pointed chancel arch on 3 clustered columns with moulded semicircular-plan cap; panelled barrel roof to chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ4106549827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407597
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].