THE FORMER MERCANTILE MARINE OFFICES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232273
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1978
Statutory Address:
THE FORMER MERCANTILE MARINE OFFICES, MILL DAM

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FORMER MERCANTILE MARINE OFFICES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 04:00:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FORMER MERCANTILE MARINE OFFICES, MILL DAM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35870 66858

Details

1. 5102 MILL DAM The Former Mercantile Marine Offices NZ 3566 NE 7/49 25.1.78 II

2. 1863-64. T M Clemence architect and borough surveyor. 1878 addition at rear. J H Morton architect. White bricks and ashlar. Two storeys, 3 bays square. An imposing public building in the Renaissance style. Front elevation: ground floor entrance wall recessed behind an open rusticated arcade of 3 segmental arches on rectangular piers. There is a narrower arch on the sides. First floor has pairs of Corinthian columns framing the 3 ground semi-circular headed windows. Then an entablature with widely spaced heavy brackets and a crowing parapet. Over the centre bay a triangular pediment with sculptured coats of arms. The 3 windows to the side elevation at first floor have architraves and triangular pediments. The first floor is taller than the ground floor which is the "classical" basement for the order. The later addition to the south continues the same style and details. The coats of arms in the pediment are by Thos William Rowe, sculptor. This was originally the Customs House built just before South Shields was declared a separate customs port in 1865. The addition of 1878 was built to house the offices of the local Marine Board.

Listing NGR: NZ3587066858

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407502
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01299/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].