CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232286
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232286.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:34:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Poynton-with-Worth
National Grid Reference:
SJ 91894 83584

Details

SJ 98 SW POYNTON-WITH-WORTH C.P. LONDON ROAD (West Side)

3/107 Church of St. George II Church, 1858-9 by Crowther, south steeple 1884-5 by Medland and Henry Taylor. Late C13 style. Coursed rubble, steeply-pitched slate roof. Nave, two aisles, chancel, porch on south side with steeple in SE corner. Aisle of 5 bays with simple 2-light cusped windows but clerestorey of 6 bays with alternative circular and 2-light cusped windows. Buttresses with offsets and gable crosses. West end of nave has two, very slim, cusped lancets and sexfoil rose window above. Geometrical east window of 4 lights. Heavily buttressed tower with octagonal stair turret of 3 stages. Twin-louvred bell openings. Broached octagonal spire with lucarnes. South porch has chamfered pointed arch of a single order with inner arch savagely cusped. Interior: Nave of 3 bays, arcades on octagonal piers. Chancel arch on corbelled colonettes; stone sedilia and piscinae. Wagon roofs in nave and chancel. Stained glass east window in north arcade by J Aldam Heaton, now worn and blurred. Some other early Victorian glass. (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ9189483584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407610
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/11988/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bruce Beattie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].