TROW ROCK FLOATING PLATFORM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232338
Date first listed:
11-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
TROW ROCK FLOATING PLATFORM, TROW POINT

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232338.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 22:03:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
TROW ROCK FLOATING PLATFORM, TROW POINT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 38429 66682

Details

1. 5102 NZ 36 NE 12/89 TROW POINT Trow Rock Floating Platform II 2.

Casing of Clarke Maxim Disappearing Platform, for 6-inch breech-loading gun. 1887 for the Inspector General of Fortifications, for experimental trial purposes. Mass concrete. Cylindrical shape of approx. 21 feet internal diameter with west extension for approach tunnel. Rough-shuttered exterior. Interior shows runners for steel floating platform (now removed) and entrance to tunnel. Structure is sunk deeply into the ground to accommodate the water upon which the platform rose and fell, actuated by air pressure pumps, and is now largely filled with earth.

Historical note: Trials of platform took place on 15th and 16th December 1887. It was found that the raising and lowering of the platform was too slow and the system was abandoned in favour of the quicker and cheaper Elswick hydro-pneumatic mounting.

Of historical interest as a relic of late C19 artillery development experiments.

Listing NGR: NZ3842966682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407705
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00865/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].