THE PRIORY, IN PRIORY WOOD, 500 YARDS TO NORTH EAST OF MIDFORD CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232452
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1956
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, IN PRIORY WOOD, 500 YARDS TO NORTH EAST OF MIDFORD CASTLE, MIDFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY, IN PRIORY WOOD, 500 YARDS TO NORTH EAST OF MIDFORD CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 18:50:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, IN PRIORY WOOD, 500 YARDS TO NORTH EAST OF MIDFORD CASTLE, MIDFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Southstoke
National Grid Reference:
ST 76187 61560

Details

ST 76 SE SOUTH STOKE MIDFORD ROAD (north side)

7/189 The Priory, in Priory Wood, 500 yards to north-east of Midford 1.2.56 Castle

- II

Gothick style summer house or tea-room. Circa 1775 possibly to the design of John Carter. In a ruined state at time of survey - December 1983. Coursed squared freestone footings survive for 2-3 feet around the main building which has a canted south end. At the north west is a ruinous, circular tower: ashlar; 3 stages with a bold bracketted cornice and a truncated spire; pierced quatrefoil windows on the west side, the top one is under a hoodmould as on Midford Castle.(q.v.). The Priory ruins are all that remains of an important Georgian Gothick garden which formerly also contained a hermitage, a bridge over a man-made ravine and numerous walks and rides. (Country Life, 3.III.1944., 10.III.1944.).

Listing NGR: ST7618761560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407842
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 3 March, (1944)
'Country Life' in 10 March, (1944)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top