MEMORIAL TO 1871 COLLIERY DISASTER, IN GARDEN OF REST, 20 METRES EAST OF CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232453
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL TO 1871 COLLIERY DISASTER, IN GARDEN OF REST, 20 METRES EAST OF CHRIST CHURCH, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232453.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 01:13:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
MEMORIAL TO 1871 COLLIERY DISASTER, IN GARDEN OF REST, 20 METRES EAST OF CHRIST CHURCH, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Seaham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 41095 49833

Details

NZ 44 NW SEAHAM STATION ROAD (North side)

4/40 Memorial to 1871 colliery disaster,in Garden of Rest,20 metres east of Christ Church II



Memorial to 1871 explosion at Seaham Colliery. 1871 by W. Robson of Seaham. Sandstone. Minimal Gothic Revival style. 2-stage monument about 5 metres high. Lower stage: square stone pedestal on moulded base has sloping sides and recessed panel with inscription: This monument is erected by the contributions of their fellow workmen and others in loving memory of twenty-six men and boys who were killed by an explosion at Seaham Colliery on October 25th 1871 and whose names are inscribed hereon. Pedestal has cable-moulded, low-pitched pyramidal cap. Upper stage is a thin octagonal spirelet with collar surmounted by an enriched cross.

Listing NGR: NZ4109549833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407598
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01252/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].