LAVINGTON PARK SEAFORD COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1232490
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
LAVINGTON PARK, BEECHWOOD LANE
Statutory Address:
SEAFORD COLLEGE, BEECHWOOD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 06:04:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAVINGTON PARK, BEECHWOOD LANE
Statutory Address:
SEAFORD COLLEGE, BEECHWOOD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
East Lavington
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 94581 16321

Details

SU 91 NW EAST LAVINGTON BEECHWOOD LANE 18/2 Lavington Park 18.6.59 (Seaford College) II* Half H-shaped house. The original portion of this house comprises the east wing and the centre portion, originally the service wing. This was built for John Sargent, MP. Elizabethan house built by the Garton family, from whom Mrs Sargent had inherited the property through the female line. Architect James Lewis. After the death of Mrs Sargent in 1841 the house was inherited by Samuel Wilberforce who was Bishop of Oxford from 1845-69 and Bishop of Winchester from 1869-73 and who in 1828 had married her eldest grandaughter Emily. He resided there at intervals from 1845 until his death in 1873, and his son after him. In 1903 the house was considerably enlarged by Lord Woolavington, when the west wing was added balancing and nearly matching the east wing and the centre portion altered. Architect Detmar Blow. The house is of 2 storeys, attic and basement. White brick. Balustraded parapet. Hipped slate roof. Glazing bars intact. The south front facing the Downs has 15 windows and 11 dormers. Of these, the 5 easternmost window bays constitute the 1794 wing. The 3 centre window bays of this project slightly with solid portion in the centre of the balustrade above containing a cartouche and a wide central porch with 4 Ionic columns and a pediment over. This wing of 1794 has been reproduced at the west end in 1903 complete with a matching porch, and between the two is a recessed secton of 5 windows. The west front has 5 windows and 5 dormers. On the north front facing the Weald the projection of the wings of 1794 and 1903 is much deeper. The original wing has 7 windows, 3 dormers and 2 curved bays on ground and first floors which have Venetian windows on the curve on the ground floor, also a curved bay in the centre of the west wall. The recessed portion has 5 windows and 5 dormers and a porch with pediment over, added in 1903, which is now the main entrance of the house. The west wing added in 1903, is practically identical with the original wing.

Listing NGR: SU9458116321

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
301700
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02376/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs M Cleaver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].