TUCKING MILL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1232501

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: TUCKING MILL COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUCKING MILL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 11:49:48.

Location

Statutory Address: TUCKING MILL COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Southstoke

National Grid Reference: ST 76509 61515

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 76 SE SOUTH STOKE TUCKING MILL

7/219 Tucking Mill Cottage (formerly listed as William Smith's House) 1.2.56 II -

Gothick-style detached cottage. Late C18. Ashlar with hipped slate roof and moulded cornice. 2 storeys. 3 bays and end pilaster strips; glazing bar sash windows with pointed Gothick style heads, in raised plain stone surrounds; plain band over ground floor. Central 6-panel door under pointed overlight and in raised plain stone surround. Lattice porch with pointed tracery. To the right of the door are 2 marble tablets set in a freestone frame. The upper tablet reads: "Here lived William Smith 'Father of English Geology' born 23rd March 1769, died 28th August 1839". The lower tablet reads: "Re-erected in 1932 by The Geological Society of London and The Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Association". However documentary evidence (see Journal of the Bristol Industrial Archaeological Society. XI, 1978) proves that William Smith's brother occupied this house and that he occupied Tucking Mill House (item 7/144, TUCKING MILL, MONKTON COMBE).

Listing NGR: ST7650961515

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 407883

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Bristol Industrial Archaeological Society' in Journal of the Bristol Industrial Archaeological Society, , Vol. 11, (1978)

End of official listing