TOWER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1232573
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1986
Statutory Address:
TOWER HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232573.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:00:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alnham
National Grid Reference:
NT 99026 10984

Details

ALNHAM ALNHAM NT 91 SE 8/6 Tower House 21/10/53 Formerly listed as The Youth Hostel (The old Vicarage)

GV II*

House. C14, first mentioned in 1405,and about 1840. Dressed stone and ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Irregular. 2 storeys.

Medieval tower on left with T-plan C19 house attached to right.

Doorway recessed under pent roof in angle between the two sections.

Tower has 2- and 1-light C19 mullioned windows with floating cornices. C19 battlements with corner turrets.

Projecting bay to right of door has similar 3-light window on ground floor and 2-light above.

Gabled roofswith corniced ridge stacks.

Interior: tower has vaulted ground floor and walls 9 ft. thick.

Originally a 'vicar's pele'. Described as "long uninhabited and uninhabitable" in 1821 but in use again by 1844. Later used Youth Hostel but now a private house. 1

N.C.H. Vol. 14 pages 561 and 572.

Listing NGR: NT9903210986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
407949
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, (1935), 561, 572

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13975/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James McQuillen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].