PENTLOW TOWER APPROXIMATELY 90 METRES SOUTH WEST OF HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1232777
Date first listed:
17-May-1984
Statutory Address:
PENTLOW TOWER APPROXIMATELY 90 METRES SOUTH WEST OF HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232777.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 16:10:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
PENTLOW TOWER APPROXIMATELY 90 METRES SOUTH WEST OF HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Pentlow
National Grid Reference:
TL 81764 45029

Details

TL 84 NW PENTLOW PENTLOW VILLAGE 2/216 Pentlow Tower approx. 90 metres South West of House

GV II

Tower monument circa 1859. Built by Rev. John Bull. Octagonal, of red brick with gault dressings. Approx. 90 feet tall. The top stage splays outward. Gault brick moulded and crenellated turret, with cusping under. There is flared brick diapering. Gault bands to each level and 2 centre-arched window. Door with nailed moulded rails and muntins. 2 centred chamfered brick doorway over which is a stone plaque "erected by Rev. John Bull 1859 in Honour of his parents etc". Also a stone coat of arms. Flared bricks read 1859. There are 3 2 centre-arched blocked windows to ground floor. Oak spiral staircase with centre post. It is reputed that 48 churches can be seen from the tower on a clear day. One of the very few follies in Essex.

Listing NGR: TL8176445029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408177
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09043/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm Wayne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].