ST MARGARET'S LEPER HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1232831
Date first listed:
04-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Jul-1975
Statutory Address:
ST MARGARET'S LEPER HOSPITAL, HAMILTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARGARET'S LEPER HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1232831 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 19:58:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARGARET'S LEPER HOSPITAL, HAMILTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 23846 24810

Details

HAMILTON ROAD 1. 5365 (North Side) St Margaret's Leper Hospital (formerly listed as St Margaret's) ST 2324 NE 13/12 4.6.52.

II*

2. Early leper hospital rebuilt in early C16. Converted and occupied as almshouses 1612-1938. Restored by Rural Community Council and occupied by them since 1959. Long freestanding single storey building. Mostly of local shillet stone, now whitewashed. Thatched roof with attic rising to right. Thatch eaves on scrolled wrought-iron brackets to rear. Brick stack to right gable, stone parapet to left gable end. New oak supports to front verandah. Singele and double leaded lights under wooden lintels. Original oak doorframes with Tudor arched lintels. On front is a stone tablet with the arms of Abbot Bere of Glastonbury, the original restorer of the building.

Listing NGR: ST2384624810

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269752
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10499/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].