CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1233014
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THAME ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233014.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:20:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THAME ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Piddington
National Grid Reference:
SP 63999 16980

Details

SP61NW PIDDINGTON THAME ROAD (West side)

11/136 Church of St. Nicholas

07/12/66

GV II*

Church. Late C13, C15 and C16; restored 1855 and by J.O. Scott in 1898. Random and coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile and Welsh-slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. C13 chancel, with plinth and stepped angle buttresses, has an east window of 3 grouped trefoiled lancets below an outer arch, and, to south, has 2 similar 2-light windows with trefoils in their heads; all have engaged shafts supporting tracery rolls; to north is a similar lancet plus a 2-light C15 window, and there is a C14 priest's door to south. South aisle has 2 plain lancets, possibly re-used, plus a C14 window of 2 ogee-headed lights; a similar window facing west may be C19. C19 porch, with square traceried openings, shelters a C14 doorway with continuous moulding. North wall of nave has heavy buttresses, 2 square-headed windows (one with Perpendicular tracery) and a single light contemporary with the tower. 2-stage C16 tower, with diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet, has single-light bell-chamber openings and 2-light west window, all with 3-centred arches, and has a 4-centre arched west doorway with shields in the spandrels. Interior: chancel windows have internal shafts and trefoiled rere arches, to east with the cusps pierced with trefoils. The C14 two-seat sedilia is sumptuously carved with foliage and ballflower ornament and has cinqufoiled arches, tall canopies and pinnacles; matching canopies to the piscina and the altered priest's door have been mutilated. An Easter sepulchre to north is carved with winged cherubs. C19 chancel arch. 4-bay C14 south arcade has octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Medieval octagonal chalice-shaped font. C18 turned communion rails. Monuments include 3 early-C18 Baroque wall tablets, 2 carved with weeping figures, to members of the Walker family. Fragmentary painting of St. Christopher on north wall of nave. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.257; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.731).

Listing NGR: SP6399916980

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408435
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 731
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17084/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cano-Lopez. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].