CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1233438
Date first listed:
16-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233438.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:11:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Churchover
National Grid Reference:
SP 51044 80811

Details

CHURCHOVER CHURCH STREET SP58SW (West side) 4/25 Church of Holy Trinity 16/10/60 GV II* Church. C15 with C12 origins, but mostly rebuilt 1896 by Basset Smith. C15 tower, spire rebuilt C19. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and C20 tile roof. Chancel and aisled nave with west tower and south porch and vestry. Apsidal chancel demolished, chancel (without apse) rebuilt C19. Early English style door to south. 3-light window to east. Decorated style windows to north and south. Vestry attached to south aisle. Nave of 3 bays with C19 two-light windows to north and south aisles. C14 two-light window to east of north aisle. C19 plank door within C13 pointed doorway of 2 orders of shafts with chamfered surrounds and head-mould with label stops. C19 porch with Early English style doorway. Buttresses to walls and angles of nave and chancel. Gables are coped. C15 west tower of 3 stages. Plinth and angle buttresses up to third stage. 3-light cusped window to west of first stage with chamfered surround. One square-headed light to west, north and east of second stage. C15 two-light cusped square-headed windows to 4 sides of third stage. C16 parapet to third stage. C15 hexagonal spire, the top rebuilt C19. Interior: Original C15 south arcade remains. 3 bays of polygonal piers with responds to east and west. Hood-mould has C15 label stops of carved heads. Triple chamfered tower arch. Norman font to centre of nave with carved polygonal cover dated 1673. Norman capital of stylised foliage reset in west wall of south aisle. C13 tomb slab reset below. In west wall of south aisle alabaster monument to William Price, his wife and her parents erected 1595. Both couples kneel facing each other over prayer desks. 3 corinthian columns support an entablature supporting coats of arms and putti heads. An inscription reads "AVOET PARENTI BENE MERENTIBUS WILLIMUS PRICEUS EQ. AVRAT H.M.L.L.P.". In west wall of north aisle a marble monument to Charles Dixwell of Coton and Abigail his wife, erected 1641. Corinthian columns support an entablature. Charles and his wife kneel facing each other in an aspect of prayer. The demi-figures of their sons and daughter pray below. C18 wall monument in north wall of chancel. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire p.232)

Listing NGR: SP5104480811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408940
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 232

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01334/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael E. Dyer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].