BARN ABOUT 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF MERSHAM MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1233497
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
BARN ABOUT 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF MERSHAM MANOR, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN ABOUT 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF MERSHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:44:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN ABOUT 30 METRES NORTH WEST OF MERSHAM MANOR, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Ashford (District Authority)
Parish:
Mersham
National Grid Reference:
TR 05158 39414

Details

TR 03 NE MERSHAM CHURCH ROAD (east side)

7/101 Barn about 30 metres north- west of Mersham Manor

GV II*

Barn. Early to mid C14. Timber framed and weatherboarded on ragstone base, with ragstone and red brick cladding to rear elevations. Plain tiled roof. Hipped roof with hipped streys to left and to right. Interior: 4 full bays with aisles with cantileveredterminal outshots, somewhat obscured by later divisions. One end bay and aisles extensively reconstructed c.1600, but main assembly and part of aisle (reversed assembly) probably contemporary with early C14 Mersham Manor adjacent. Keyed scarfs, with thick, nearly straight braces. Clasped purlin roof. (See S.E. Rigold. Major Kentish Barns, 21. One feature (pegged wedges) he dates elsewhere 1284-1306).

Listing NGR: TR0521239383

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
408742
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Archaeologia Cantiana, (1966), 21

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00674/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rod Granger. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].