CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TORKSEY STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233879.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:32:31.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TORKSEY STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 79950 78580
SK 77 NE RAMPTON TORKSEY STREET
1/65 Church of All Saints 1.2.67 G.V. I
Parish church. C10, early C13, c.1300, C14, C15, C16, C17, restored 1894, nave roof restored 1902. Coursed rubble, dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped east gable with single ridge cross. Single rendered red brick stack to the north east aisle. Buttressed and set on a plinth with moulded band running over. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. Early C13 tower of 2 stages with bands and course of ballflower running under the C14 battlements. West moulded pointed arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Above is an arched 3 light late C14 window with panel tracery, cusping, moulded surround, hood mould and worn beast label stops, flanked by single corbels. Above is an arched and cusped niche with a moulded arched surround with finial. In the belfry are 4 arched c.1300 openings each with 2 cusped lights and hood mould. There is a single clock face to the south and 5 small rectangular lights to the west with single similar lights to the north and east. The west wall of the north aisle has a single arched 2 light window with Y tracery. The north wall has a chamfered arched doorway with wooden door and hood mould, over is an oval plaque dated 1699 with illegible inscription. To the left is a single C16 window under a flat arch with 2 cusped lights, original lead and hood mould. Further left is a single C16 3 light window under flat arch with cusping, original lead and hood mould. This bay is of coursed rubble and is not on a plinth. The east wall has a single arched 3 light re-cut window with intersecting tracery. The chancel lacks the moulded plinth band and is mainly of coursed rubble. The north wall has 2 blocked windows with flat arches and hood moulds. Projecting is the felted roof of a basement. The east chancel has a single arched 5 light window with C14 panel tracery and hood mould. This replaces an earlier window. The south chancel has a central chamfered arched doorway with wooden door, flanked by single C16 windows each with 3 lights, tracery, cusping, flat arch and hood mould. The east wall of the south aisle has a single C16 3 light arched window with original lead. Leaning against the south wall are 3 rectangular, arched headstones. Early C18 with illegible inscriptions, there is a further, larger, rectangular, arched headstone to Elizabeth Holmes, 1728. The south wall has 2 C17 3 light windows under flat arches with original lead and with moulded surrounds. There is a single similar window to the left of the C14 porch which is diagonally buttressed and has a moulded, pointed arched entrance supported on engaged colonnettes with moulded capitals. The hood mould has 2 large worn beast label stops and carved angel finial, over is a sundial. There is a double iron gate. The east and west walls each have single traceried openings with 2 cusped lights under flat arches. The inner early C13 double chamfered pointed arched doorway with imposts decorated with nailhead terminating in the left in a stylised flower has a hood mould with 2 large C15 regal head label stops. There is a C17 panelled door. The west wall of the south aisle has a single 3 light arched window with C14 panel tracery, original lead and moulded surround. Interior. 3 bay late C13 north aisle arcade with single large square, part chamfered, C10 pier rising to the roof. To the right is a single octagonal column with moulded capital. To the east and west are similar large piers all with corbels which support the double chamfered arches. The 4 bay C15 south aisle arcade has octagonal columns with moulded capitals supporting double chamfered arches, to the east and west are moulded corbels. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered tower arch is supported on castellated corbels. There is a C20 screen under with blind traceried panels. The inner chamfer of the double chamfered late C13 chancel arch is supported on corbels. There is a C20 screen under. The south wall of the north aisle has a small piscina, there is a further piscina in the south aisle wall. To the south of the chancel arch is a squint. Beside the south doorway is an aumbry. There is a C15 alms box and a C17 oak chest with iron fittings. Some of the pews are C17 and in the north aisle is a C16 communion table. In the chancel are several monuments. To Gervase Anthony Eyre, 1811, by Crake, the crown being decorated with the trappings of battle. To Anthony Hardolph Eyre and his wife Francisca Alicia, 1836, by Crake in the shape of a casket surmounted by a coloured shield. To Anthony Eyre and his wife Judith Letitia by Crake, 1800, this is surmounted by a coloured shield. A fine monument to Gervas Eyre and his wife Catherine by WM Holland, 1703. The tablet is flanked by single pilasters with acanthus decorated capitals which support a cornice surmounted by central coloured shield, flanked by single urns. Flanking the base of the inscription are single cherubs with a further single cherub's head on the apron. There are further monuments to Sir George Eyre, 1839; Carolus Eyre, 1796: Anne Marie Eyre, 1826: Louisa Henrietta Eyre, 1816; Johannis and Charlottae Eyre, 1831: Johannis Hardolpi Eyre and Antonius Gervasius Eyre, 1821. The monument to Charles Willoughby Eyre and Anthony Gervase Eyre, 1834, is by Lockwood and is surmounted by a lily. In the south aisle is a monument to Elizabeth Howlet, 1747. On the north nave wall is a hatchment. In the south aisle is a board detailing "A particular of ye augument of ye church in ye year 1735" dated "Feb ye 7 1743". There is a further board dated 1703 outlining the gift of Gervas Coale of Rampton. The nave has an C18 king post roof.
Listing NGR: SK7995478579
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing