Preston Tower (New)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1233960
Date first listed:
26-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
Preston Tower (New), Preston, Chathill, NE67 5DH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1233960.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:19:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
Preston Tower (New), Preston, Chathill, NE67 5DH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ellingham
National Grid Reference:
NU 18444 25412

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/07/2019

NU 12 NE 11/160

ELLINGHAM CHATHILL PRESTON Preston Tower (New)

(Formerly listed as Preston Tower (New), Preston)

GV II House. c.1805 for Edmund Craster. East wing added 1862. Entrance side altered 1915. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof.

Garden side: two storey, five bay main block with lower two storey, four bay east wing to right and single storey, L-plan outbuilding on extreme right. Main block has pedimented three bay centre breaking forward slightly. Porch of two pairs of Roman Doric columns with fluted necking, cornice and panelled blocking course. Sill bands and sash windows. Cornice, and parapet with panels of bold guilloche moulding. Hipped roof with three large mid C19 brick chimneys. East wing has twelve-pane sashes and gabled roof with flat coping and kneelers.

Entrance side: main block seven bays with three bay centre of 1915 replacing early C19 centre of giant attached Ionic columns; it has large solid porch. Twelve-pane sashes on ground floor, nine-pane sashes above.

Interior: imperial stair with stick balusters; coffered ceiling in hall. Marble Gothick fireplace in drawing room with Tudor-arched lintel, clustered shafts and quatrefoils. Good multi-moulded cornices. Six-panel doors and reveals.

Listing NGR: NU1844425412

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
409577
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].