THE ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1234167

Date first listed: 10-Dec-1991

Statutory Address: THE ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE, BRADFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234167 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:26:55.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ANCHOR PUBLIC HOUSE, BRADFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 07673 86295

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRMINGHAM BRADFORD STREET SF 08 NE 7/10004 The Anchor Public House II

Public house. 1901 by James and Lister Lea for Holt Brewery Company. Red bricked terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern Station Brick and Terracotta Company of Loughborough). Flat roof concealed behind parapet. Brick end and axial stacks.

Plan: situated on corner site with entrance on corner to central public bar which is partitioned on right with separate entrance; doorways also to left and right to passage, outdoor and smoke room. Louis XIV style influence.

Exterior: 2 storeys 1:2:2 bay Bradford Street front and 2:1:2:1 Rae Street elevation to right with 1-bay rounded corner. The terracotta ground floor has large bar windows with moulded elliptical arches with raised voussoirs and keystone and leaded panes with stained glass. The round arch doorways have similarly treated arches and fanlights. Entablature above ground floor with moulded cornice and fascia. On first floor the terracotta 2-window bays are pilastered and have raised voussoirs to round arches and friezes above with arabesques and cartouchs. The curved corner window is similarly treated but has flat arch and 1-window bays are plain. Terracotta moulded cornice and parapet. Plain brick lower 2-storey, 2 bay wing on left.

Interior: Public bar has entrance porch in corner, low panelled screen with Art Nouveau stained glass panels, anaglypta ceiling, pilastered and panelled bar-front and bar-back with engraved mirror glass, pilasters and canopy with wavey fretwork and fluted pilaster drops forming lyre shapes. Hallway has radiator and glazed hatch.

Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne. Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939.



Listing NGR: SP0767386295

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 409970

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford, A, Dunn, M, Thorne, R, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939, (1986)

End of official listing