SWAN AND MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1234169

Date first listed: 10-Dec-1991

Statutory Address: SWAN AND MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE, LICHFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWAN AND MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:09:41.

Location

Statutory Address: SWAN AND MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE, LICHFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 08843 89562

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRMINGHAM LICHFIELD ROAD SP 08 NE Swan and Mitre Public House 7/10002 II GV Public house. 1898-9 by James and Lister Lea for the Holt Brewery Company. Red brick and terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern Station Brick and Terrcotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with gabled ends. Brick axial and gable end stacks.

Plan: Situated on corner site with corner and front entrances to the bars and end entrances to the smoke room at the back and stairs. Dutch Renaissance style.

Exterior: 2 storeys. 2:1:2 bay Lichfield Road elevation and 2:1:2 bay right hand return to Holborn Hill with canted corner carrying oriel with wooden cupola above with ogee dome with tall spike finial. The 2-window bays break forward and have shaped gables. The ornate terracotta ground floor has large moulded elliptically arched windows with keystones, rooks, shafts and balustered wooden mullions; the narrower doorways are similarly detailed but with round arches; roundels above the doors and spandrels above window arches with an entablature above that which continues around the corner oriel, the soffit of which has terracotta foliage decoration. Paved first floor windows have ornate terracotta pediments with swagged console brackets. Windows have leaded panes with some stained glass. Panelled doors with semi-circular fanlights. The right hand 2 bays of Holborn Hill elevation forms plain red brick rear wing.

Interior: The bars have Jacobean style wooden bar backs and bar fronts with fluted pilasters, arched mirrors and clocks above. The smoke-room has an imported wooden chimneypiece with bulbous colonettes flanking the overmantel mirror.The passage and stairs have tiled walls and the staircase has turned newels and balusters.

Note: Formerly known as The Swanpool Tavern.

Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne, Birmingham pubs 1880-1939.



Listing NGR: SP0884389562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 409973

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford, A, Dunn, M, Thorne, R, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939, (1986)

End of official listing