CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1234265
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234265.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:14:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
North Leverton with Habblesthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 78712 82261

Details

NORTH LEVERTON SK 78 Sit WITH HABBLESTHORPE MAIN STREET (north side)

5/49 Church of St. Martin 1.2.67

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15; restored C19. Ashlar, dressed stone, coursed rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths. West tower, nave, south aisle, chancel, south porch. West tower, C15, 2 stages. String course, eaves band with 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet. Pair of diagonal buttresses to west, 2 set-offs. South side has 3 stair lights. West side has to right, small Tudor arched door, and above, C15 triple lancet with round heads, panel tracery, cove mullions, chamfered and coved reveal and hood mould. Second stage has 4 double round headed bell openings with hood moulds. Nave, 4 bays, has to north 5 buttresses, that to west gabled and linked to tower. 3 restored C13 double lancets with Y tracery and hood moulds. To west, 4 centred arched blocked doorway. Coped gable to east, with cross. South side has single buttress to west and gabled buttress linked to tower. To west, single restored C13 lancet with Y tracery. South aisle, 2 bays, has 2 coped gables with crosses. East end has to right, buttress with 2 set-offs. To left, tall C14 triple lancet with cusped heads and flowing tracery. South side has pair of corner buttresses to east, and 3 buttresses to south with gabled trefoil headed niches. 2 early C14 triple lancets with intersecting and Decorated tracery. Both have chamfered and rebated reveals and hood moulds with mask stops. Restored west end has C19 circular window with quatrefoil tracery. Chancel, 2 bays, has 2 pairs of orner buttresses to east, 2 set-offs. Coped east gable with cross. North side has central 4 centred arched blocked doorway. 2 C14 triple lancets with cusped heads, Decorated tracery and hood moulds. East end has C14 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and Decorated tracery and hood mould. South side has single buttress and central restored priest's door with chamfered ogee head. 2 C14 triple lancets similar to north side. South porch, C19 in C13 style. Large clasping buttress to west. West side has 2 chamfered single lancets. South door, double chamfered and rebated with moulded round responds and hood mould. Above, a single small blocked lancet. Moulded coped gable with cross. Inner south doorway, c.1200, 3 orders, has roll moulded arch with keeled rsponds with square capitals. Roll moulded and keeled soffit with dogtooth band and fleur de lys and mask terminals. Round responds with crocketed capitals. Nave south arcade, C14, 2 bays, has single octagonal pier and west respond with chamfered bases and moulded capitals. East impost re-cut into crude volute and fielded square panel. Double chamfered and rebated arches. Walls have C19 timber panelling, traceried to north and west. C19 king post roof with corbels carrying arched braces to billeted collars. Curved struts and wind braces. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with tapered octagonal imposts. Tower chamber enclosed by traceried timber screen, 1928, to form vestry, which contains fitted vestment cupboards. South aisle has no features of interest. Roof similar to north aisle. Chancel arch, C13, restored, double chamfered and rebated, with roundblack marble imposts with noulded capitals and conical corbels. North side has to east, small oqee headed aumbry. South side has, to east, cusped ogee headed piscina. All windows have coloured borders and patterns. Roof, C19 panelled timber wagon vault. Fittings include C19 roll topped deal benches and C19 traceried panelled choir stalls with corniced backs and fleur de lys finials. C19 pierced panelled pulpit. Brass lectern with twisted bracketed stem. C19 eggcup font with round black marble shaft, on square base, with C18 octagonal cover with turned knob. Memorials include war memorial tablet, 2 rolls of honour, brasses 1837 and 1886, 2 C20. 2 Classical style marble and slate tablets, 1832 and 1834.

Listing NGR: SK7871382261

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410128
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27046

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05983/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].