CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1234572
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, TOP STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234572.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:54:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, TOP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
North Wheatley
National Grid Reference:
SK 76210 85868

Details

SK 78 NE NORTH WHEATLEY TOP STREET (east side) 2/80 Church of St Peter and St Paul I.2.67

G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Tower c.1480. Chancel 1824. Restored 1896 by Hodgson Fowler. Further restored 1927. Ashlar and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Slate and lead roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths. West tower, nave, chancel, north chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, 2 stages, has string course, eaves band with remains of gargoyles, crenellated parapet. 2 corner buttresses, 3 setoffs. To west, C19 cusped head triple lancet with panel tracery and splayed reveal with hood mould. Second stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with cusped trefoil heads. Nave, 2 bays, has string course, moulded coped parapet and coped gable with cross. North side has 2 buttresses. To east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped heads, in cove-moulded reveals with 4 centred arched heads. That to west with hood mould. To west, blocked recessed doorway with hood mould. South side has 2 similar windows. Chancel, 2 bays, has string course, moulded coped parapet and coped gable with cross. East end has quintuple lancet with cusped trefoil heads, in reveal with 4 centred arched head. South side has 2 similar triple lancets. North chancel chapel, 2 bays, has string course and moulded coped parapet. West end has 4 centred arched doorway. North side has central double lancet with cusped trefoil heads, in 4 centred arched reveal. Rainwater head dated 1824. East end has cusped ogee head double lancet in sqaure headed chamfered and rebated reveal. South porch, single bay, timber frame on ashlar plinth, C20. Pair of C20 half glazed doors with leaded lights; 6 leaded lights each side. Interior has stone benches. Low pitched roof. South doorway, C16, Tudor arched with deep cove and roll mouldings and rebate with broach stops. Coved hood mould with remains of mask stops. Nave north side has to west C13 stoup re-set in blocked doorway. C19 queen post roof with corbels carrying curved brackets to tie beams. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, without imposts, spanned by re-set moulded and crested bressummer with central cross. Tower chamber contains dog leg stair of cleft trunks with treads pegged on. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and rebated, with moulded octagonal imposts. Chancel has to north 2- bay C19 arcade with irregular octagonal pier and moulded arches and C20 traceried panelled timber screen. Roof has 4 centred arch braces to tie beams, pierced spandrels, responds on octagonal corbels; moulded timbers and foliate bosses. North chancel chapel has to east re-set keeled respond and capital, and to its right re-set C13 niche head. Lean-to roof with moulded tie beams and struts to principal rafters. Fittings include 10 C15 re-used bench ends with traceried panels and fleur de lys finials; other benches are C20 copies. Traceried panelled stalls with fleur de lys ends. C17 side table with turned legs and chip carving, and similar C17 four legged stool. C19 gradine incorporating portions of C17 chip carving. Timber pulpit, 1603, with round headed arcaded panels, reeded pilasters, pulvinated friezes and strapwork. C12 tub font with cover. 2 benefaction boards, 1816. Monuments include merchant's mark and brass to Edmund Cartwright, 1441, and brass 1941. Fragment of capital with naturalistic foliage.

Listing NGR: SK7621085868

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410551
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06440/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].