THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1234717
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234717.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:04:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Midhurst
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 88713 21483

Details

MIDHURST MARKET SQUARE (north side) SU 8821 21/45 The Parish Church of St Mary 18.6.59 (Formerly listed under Red Lion Street)

GV II*

Chancel with north and south chapels, tower in the place of a south transept with low shingled spire, nave with aisles. Base of the tower C13, the upper portions of the tower, the nave and the arcades of the chancel early C16. The remainder dates from 1882, when the whole church was so much restored that its character is largely C19. Architect Lacy W Ridge.

Listing NGR: SU8871321483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410679
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/02370/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Harrison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].