Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KATHARINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1234886.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:35:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ashfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 48339 61902


SK 46 SE TEVERSAL BUTTERY LANE (south side) 1/17 Church of St. Katharine G.V. I Parish church. C12, C13. Refenestrated and refitted c.1684. Coursed and squared rubble with lead and slate lean-to and gabled roofs. Ashlar dressings, coved eaves, coped gables with kneelers and crosses. West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south porch incorporated in south aisle. West tower, C13, raised late C17, 3 stages, has chamfered and plain string courses, stepped crenellated parapet with small pinnacles, and elaborate weathercock. First stage has to west, round headed double lancet with coved reveal and cross in head. Third stage has on each side, double round headed lancet in pointed reveal with hood mould. To west, clock in square panel. Nave clerestorey has to south 3 and to north 2 plain double lancets with square headed reveals. North aisle, C13, 3 bays, has off-centre blocked shouldered door, flanked to left by 2 and to right by single cross mullioned leaded casements. South aisle has to west, set back bay with cusped round headed double lancet with hood mould. Over it, plaque with leaves and scroll. To its right, chamfered doorway. Beyond to right, 2 triple lancets with hood moulds. East end has to left C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To its right, cross mullioned casement with hood mould. Above it, datestone inscribed 'P.M. 1684'. Vestry, C19, has to east a lancet. Chancel, 3 bays, has to north single blocked C13 lancet. East end has plain triple lancet with square headed reveal, flanked by single late C18 memorial tablets on brackets. South side has off-centre shouldered doorway, flanked to left by round headed lancet with square reveal. To right, late C17 traceried double lancet. Above, to right, C18 sundial. South doorway, C12, has moulded round headed surround with allegorical figures. Battened door, C13. South arcade, early C13, 4 bays, has 2 round and 2 square piers with filleted demi-shafts. Moulded bases and capitals. Double chamfered and rebated round arches. North arcade, mid C13, 4 bays, has round piers with moulded and water holding bases. Moulded capitals with dogtooth and nailhead. Octagonal responds. Double chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds, finials and mask stops. West end has panelled gallery, 1684, on shaped wooden posts. Oak winder stair to north with turned vase and stem balusters. C17 low pitched moulded rafter roof with canted span beams with bosses, arch braces, wall shafts and king posts with cusped struts. North aisle has figure on C13 bracket at east end. South aisle has to west, chamfered arch to south doorway. C19 boarded roof. C14 chancel arch, double chamfered and rebated, with hood mould, foliate and mask stops. Octagonal responds with nailhead capitals. East end and south side have stained glass memorial windows, 1877. C19 double purlin roof with arch braces. Fittings, mainly c.1684, include altar table and side table with turned legs, 2 C18 carved side chairs, altar rail with bulbous balusters. Desks and bookstands, 1908. Fielded panel box pews. Octagonal panelled pulpit with balustraded steps. Panelled Squire's pew with carved crests and canted moulded canopy with Molyneux Arms, carried on 3 barley sugar columns. Eggcup font with rolled rim on plain stem. C18 framed benefactions board and Royal Arms. 2 C19 Gothic commandment boards. Memorials include Renaissance Revival wall tablet, alabaster, to Sir Francis Molyneux, 1674, with Latin inscription on apron and crested aedicule with broken ogee pediment on Corinthian columns. Portrait bust. Painted marble monument to Sir John and Lady Lucy Molyneux, 1691. Scrolled apron with arms. Scrolled brackets carrying Ionic columns to aedicule with crested scroll pediment, containing double round headed niche with 2 portrait busts. Marble wall monument to Sir Francis and Lady Diana Molyneux, 1741. Scroll bracketed shelf carrying recessed pedestal with crest. Above, 2 portrait busts on turned feet. Bracketed back panel with moulded scallop crested segmental pediment. 7 hatchments, C17 and C18. Portrait medallion to Sir Francis Molyneux, 1812, by J. Kendrick. 2 alabaster floor slabs, re-set, 1538 and 1563. 3 C19 and early C20 marble and slate tablets. Pedimented tablet with high relief portrait bust to Gwendolen Herbert, 1915. Classical marble and slate war memorial tablet, c.1920. 2 brasses, 1876 and 1929.

Listing NGR: SK4834061903

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12808/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Christine Keighley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].