CHURCH OF ST MUNGO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1235049
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MUNGO

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MUNGO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235049.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 11:16:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MUNGO

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Bromfield
National Grid Reference:
NY 17581 47037

Details

NY 14 NE BROMFIELD BROMFIELD

4/29 Church of St Mungo

11.4.67 I

Parish church. C12-C14, with restorations of 1861-2, 1893-4 and 1926. Coursed red sandstone rubble, under sandstone slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 2-bay nave with north aisle, south porch, north vestry, gabled twin west bellcote and medieval east bellcote for angelus bell. 2-bay chancel with side chapels and lean-to north hearse house, unusually attached to the church. Nave has one south trefoil-headed window, all others are C19 and 2-light. Old studded plank door under reused zigzag Norman arch within C19 porch. Chancel has priest's door and C15 2-light window in double-chamfered surround. C19 3-light east window. South chapel has unusual bar-tracery C13 2-light window, but the chapel is thought to have been built in 1395. North chapel has C19 window. Interior of porch has 11 fragments of medieval cross and graveslabs. Interior of nave has 3-bay arcade on round columns with vertical strips. 4 medieval graveslabs attached to west wall. C12 font on hexagonal stem. C19 pews are lettered FREE. Transitional chancel arch on responds with corbels. Piscina in south wall. C19 carved communion rail and altar screen. Aumbreys flank altar. Various C18 and C19 wall plaques; one in recess to Reverend Richard Garth of 1673 with long inscription; and another recess filled with marble sculpture of twin sons of George Dixon, 1838. South St George's Chapel was a chantry chapel, suppressed in 1546, left roofless from 1753 and walled off from chancel, but restored as 1914-18 war memorial. C18 Royal arms. Various C18 and Cl9 wall plaques. North Lady Chapel, now Crookdake Chapel has recessed graveslab to Adam de Crookdake, 1304 under later inscription. C19 wall plaques to members of Ballantine-Dykes family. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xxxvi, pp.204-5 and church guide.

Listing NGR: NY1757747038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
410437
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 36, (), 204-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16017/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].