ELEPHANT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1235411
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
ELEPHANT HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELEPHANT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 16:14:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELEPHANT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whipsnade
National Grid Reference:
TL 00316 17319

Details

5125 WHIPSNADE WHIPSNADE ZOO

SP 91 NE 19/6 Elephant House

II* Elephant house. 1935. Designed by Lubetkin and Tecton. Reinforced concrete. 1 storey. Long low composition with bowed front and light cantilevered canopy to full length, glazed beneath to centre (glazing altered late C20) and open, supported by pilotis to each side. To rear, projecting above canopy, are 4 cylindrical cubicles to house elephants, each one top lit through circular opening at apex of low pitched metal covered roof. Built to house young elephants only.

Lubetkin and Tecton Coe and Reading

Architect and Building News 8-9-1935

Architects' Journal 16-1-1936

Listing NGR: TL0031617319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
36187
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coe, P, Reading, M, Lubetkin and Tecton Architecture and Social Commitment, (1981)
'Architects Journal' in 16 January, (1936)
'The Architect and Building News' in 8 September, (1935)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11856/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].