EMMANUEL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1235441
Date first listed:
27-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
EMMANUEL CHURCH, WOODCHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EMMANUEL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235441.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:24:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
EMMANUEL CHURCH, WOODCHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Gedling (District Authority)
Parish:
Bestwood St. Albans
National Grid Reference:
SK 56630 46423

Details

BESTWOOD ST. ALBANS WOODCHURCH ROAD SK 54 NE (west side) 4/16 Emmanuel Church G.V. II* Parish church. 1868. Designed by S. S. Teulon and paid for by the 10th Duke of St. Albans. Rockfaced and plain ashlar with gabled, hipped and conical slate roofs. C13 French Gothic style. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth and moulded sill band. Windows are chamfered lancets with polychrome heads. West porch, nave and apsidal chancel under continuous roof, pulpit turret, south porch. West end has central porch with coped gable with cross and slab roof. Moulded pointed opening with round shafts. Interior has stone seat and 3 bay arcade with central memorial panel to Sybil,Duchess of St. Albans, c.1873. Flanked by single lancets. Vaulted roof. Beyond, single lancets. Above, central round window, and above it, a trefoil. Above again, west gable has shouldered gabled bell turret with cross. Nave, 4 bays, has on each side 2 paired lancets flanked by single lancets. South side has, to east, 2 buttresses. Chancel apse has 5 lancets and finial cross. Vestry west gable has pointed door. To east, double shouldered lancet. To west, pulpit turret with 3 lancets and conical roof. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and chamfered doorway. Coped gable with dove in roundel. On each side, 2 lancets. Interior has common rafter roof and chamfered doorway. Aisleless nave has painted dado and window heads. Scissor braced matchboarded roof. West end has central recess -with 2 memorial windows. Above, marble portrait plaque and memorial window, all to Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, 1873. The plaque is by H.R.H. Princess Louise. Chancel has arch on foliate corbels. Arched organ opening to left. Blind arcaded dado, 1898, and moulded sill band. Ribbed domed apse. Stencilled decoration throughout. 5 stained glass memorial windows to designs by Sybil, Duchess of St. Albans, 1870, executed by Morris & Co., 1911. Fittings include octaqonal ashlar font, pierced matching pulpit and cross frame benches. Pierced stalls and desks. Memorial lectern, 1885. Memorials include brass and tile, Cl9. Bordered bronze War Memorial plaque, 1918. C20 brass and wooden panel.

Listing NGR: SK5663046423

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425239
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26969

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00841/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Alistair Bloomer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].