CENTRAL FOUNTAIN AND RETAINING WALLS IN THE ITALIAN GARDEN NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1235688
Date first listed:
14-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
CENTRAL FOUNTAIN AND RETAINING WALLS IN THE ITALIAN GARDEN NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235688.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 00:53:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CENTRAL FOUNTAIN AND RETAINING WALLS IN THE ITALIAN GARDEN NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Belton and Manthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 92930 39457

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9239 BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/8/90 (North West side) Central fountain and retaining walls in the Italian garden NW of Belton House GV II

Fountain and retaining walls forming the central feature of the Italian garden. c1811, by Jeffry Wyatville. Reconstructed c1870-1900 by the 3rd Earl Brownlow, and altered c1940. Ashlar. Shallow fountain bowl on a knop stem, set in a round pond. Low enclosing wall with small pedestals and stepped slab coping. The surrounding path is bordered by a similar wall with 4 openings for pathways. There was formerly a cast-iron pergola, removed c1940. One of several estate buildings by Wyatville for the first Earl Brownlow, of Belton House, c1810-1820. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Garden Register at grade I. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139; Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House (National Trust Guide): London: 1985-1987: 46; Tinniswood A: Belton House, Lincolnshire: London: 1992-: 35).

Listing NGR: SK9293039457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382856
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marsden, J, Barber, A , Belton House, (1985-1987), 46
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 139
Tinniswood, A , Belton House Lincolnshire, (1992), 35
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].