GOTHICK RUIN AND CASCADE IN THE WILDERNESS 200 METRES NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1235773

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: GOTHICK RUIN AND CASCADE IN THE WILDERNESS 200 METRES NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of GOTHICK RUIN AND CASCADE IN THE WILDERNESS 200 METRES NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 07:07:35.

Location

Statutory Address: GOTHICK RUIN AND CASCADE IN THE WILDERNESS 200 METRES NORTH WEST OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Belton and Manthorpe

National Grid Reference: SK 92777 39438

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9239 BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/8/77 (North West side) 21/09/79 Gothick ruin and cascade in The Wilderness 200m north-west of Belton House (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton "Gothic ruin" (in The Wilderness) north-west of Belton House) GV II

Gothick ruin, cascade and footbridge. Early C18, restored late C19 and C20. Random rubble and natural rock, with fragments of C14 stonework. At the east end, bordering the River Witham, 2 low arches, and to their left, a restored sluice. To right, a taller section of walling including an unglazed C14 2-light window. To west, a cascade, spanned at the downstream end by a segment arched stone footbridge with renewed rustic timber balustrades. One of several estate buildings commissioned by Sir John Brownlow, Viscount Tyrconnel, of Belton House, between 1702 and 1754. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Garden Register at grade I. (Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 42; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram M: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139).

Listing NGR: SK9277739438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 382861

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marsden, J, Barber, A , Belton House, (1985-1987), 42
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 139
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

End of official listing