SUNDIAL 150 METRES NORTH OF BELTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1235882
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1979
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
SUNDIAL 150 METRES NORTH OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235882.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2021 at 23:53:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUNDIAL 150 METRES NORTH OF BELTON HOUSE, BELTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Belton and Manthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK9301239423

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9339 BELTON PARK, Belton 1315-0/9/97 (East side) 21/09/79 Sundial 150 metres north of Belton House (Formerly Listed as: BELTON PARK, Belton Sundial approx 100m N of Belton House) GV II*

Sundial sited on the main garden axis. c1690. By CG Cibber. Portland stone figure of Time, seated on a globe, supporting a baluster column with the assistance of a cherub. The brass dial is inscribed and signed by Thomas Wright, 1725. The sundial stands on a modified octagonal sandstone base of 3 steps. This sundial may have been commissioned by Sir John Brownlow, builder of Belton House. This building appears within Belton Park which is on the Gardens Register at grade I. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 139; Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 46).

Listing NGR: SK9301239423

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382879
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marsden, J, Barber, A , Belton House, (1985-1987), 46
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 139
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].