Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235903.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:50:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Gedling (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 61740 49184


CALVERTON MAIN STREET SK 64 NW (north side) 5/32 Church of St. Wilfrid 13.10.66 G.V. II* Parish church. Late C13, C14. Nave and tower rebuilt 1763. Chancel rebuilt 1835. Restored 1881. Organ chamber 1888. Vestry 1962. Dressed stone and ashlar. Lead, plain tile and slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, coved eaves, crenellated parapet, coped gables. West tower, nave, chancel, organ chamber, south porch, vestry. West tower, single stage, has 2 buttresses to west, 4 setoffs. Openings have round heads and Gibbs surrounds. South side has clock. West side has door with overlight, and above it, datestone inscribed '1763 M. Pugh, Vicar, Sam Pugh..... Churchwardens.' Above it, 3 light leaded window with wooden mullions. Above again, each side has a louvred opening. Nave north side, 2 bays, has 3 buttresses and 2 C13 style double lancets with hood moulds,1881. West end has to left, a similar lancet. South side, 3 bays, has 2 buttresses and 3 similar double lancets with hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has mullioned windows with segmental heads. North side has blocked window to east. Fragments of Cll carved stone in plinth. East end has 3 light window. South side has to east, a blocked window. Organ chamber has a diagonal buttress and a gable stack. South side has a C12 style double lancet with hood mould. South porch, late C19, has C12 style doorway with round shafts and hood mould. Coped gable with cross. To west, 2 round windows. Flat roofed vestry has parapet. Single casement to north and to west. Porch interior has common rafter roof and C19 pointed doorway. Aisleless nave has C19 strutted kingpost roof on corbels. South side has stained glass window, 1945. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, has mid C20 screen and balustrade to ringing floor. Tower chamber has re-set lintel, Cll, with masks. Tower clock chamber has 9 re-set carved stones showing country activities, Cll. Chancel arch, C13, restored, has triple round responds, Cll, with incised capitals. To its right, restored pointed opening. Chancel has C18 butt purlin roof. East end has stained glass window, 1905. Fittings include small carved table, C17. Round font with blind arcading, on clustered shafts, benches, stalls and desks with shaped ends, wooden double lectern, octagonal panelled pulpit, all late C19. Donations board, 1833. Monuments include brass in alabaster frame, 1686. 3 Classical wall tablets, C19 and C20. 3 marble tablets, one of them oval, 1822, 1830, 1856. 2 C20 brasses. Large marble war memorial tablet with scrolled broken pediment, 1918. War memorial brass in wood frame, 1945.

Listing NGR: SK6174049184

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00941/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].