CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, ARNOLD LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1235924.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:59:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, ARNOLD LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Gedling (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 61838 42570
GEDLING ARNOLD LANE
SK 64 SW
(north east side)
7/41 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14. Restored 1890. Vestry and organ
chamber 1925. Coursed and squared rubble and dressed stone.
Gabled and lean-to plain tile and slate roofs. Ashlar dressings.
Moulded and chamfered plinths, moulded sill bands, coved and
chamfered eaves. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
chancel, vestry, organ chamber, south porch. West tower, c.1300
and c.1320, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, mask corbel table
with corner spouts, and crenellated parapet. 4 pairs of corner
buttresses, 3 setoffs. Setback octagonal broach spire with 4
gabled lucarnes with double lancets and 4 niches with figures.
Above, 4 smaller lucarnes and weathercock. First stage has to
west, restored double lancet with hood mould. Second stage has 4
cusped double lancets and a clock each side. Third stage has 4
larger double lancets with hood moulds, stops and finials. Nave,
c.1200, c.1300 and C15, has west end with sill band, coped gable
and cross. Restored C13 doorway with shafts and hood mould.
Above it, triple lancet with reticulated tracery, hood mould and
stops. Flanked by single gabled niches with mask corbels, that
to right containing figure. Crenellated clerestory has on each
side 5 square headed untraceried triple lancets. North aisle, 4
bays, has coped parapet and diagonal buttress to east. North
side has 2 buttresses and to east, 2 C13 triple lancets. To
their right, chamfered doorway and another triple lancet. All
have hood moulds. To right again, small cusped lancet. South
aisle, 4 bays, has sill band, coved eaves with gargoyles, and
crenellated parapet. East end has restored C13 triple lancet
with hood mould and stops. South side has 3 buttresses. To
east, 2 C13 triple lancets as north aisle. To west, C14 cusped
triple lancet with hood mould. Parapeted single bay vestry has to
north, mullioned casement and door. Above it, large copper lamp
on brackets. East side has projecting bay with a mullioned
casement. Organ chamber has sill band, coped gable and a
buttress. To north,a lancet with Y tracery. Chancel, C13, 4
bays, restored, has sill band and coped east gable with cross.
East end has 2 corner buttresses and small central buttress. 3
splayed single lancets with shafts. Above, quatrefoil window.
North side has late C14 cusped triple lancet with panel tracery
and hood mould, South side has 3 buttresses. Central C13
priest's door with filleted moulding and shafts. Above, to east,
4 single lancets with filleted shafts and moulded heads. Linked
hood mould. to west, rectangular low side window. Above it,
restored C14 double lancet with hood mould. South porch, C14,
has 2 diagonal buttresses with crocketed finials, moulded coped
gable and cross. Moulded doorway with impost band and hood mould
with stops. Above, crocketed gabled niche. Interior has stone
benches and pointed barrel vault. Moulded impost band. C14
inner doorway with hood mould. Nave arcades, 5 bays, c.1300,
have octagonal piers with moulded bases and round seats. Double
chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Low pitched roof,
C15, with bosses, wall shafts and struts. West end has doorway
and above it, window with shafts and hood moulds. North aisle
west end has wooden screen incorporating C15 fragments. North
side windows have stained glass, late C19 and 1903. To east, C14
cusped tomb recess and aumbry. East end has blocked C15 window,
flanked by blocked C13 arch to left, and by rood stair door to
right. South aisle east end has stained glass window, 1926.
South side has window with Bardolph Arms, late C20. Both aisles
have C18 boarded roofs. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered and
rebated. Chancel has sill band. North side has to east, 2
triangular headed aumbries. East end has stained glass window,
1919. South side has to east, restored C14 double piscina and
matching sedilia with clustered shafts. Carved and painted late
C19 principal rafter roof. Fittings include octagonal C19 font.
Octagonal chip-carved pulpit, C17, on C19 plinth. 2 C17 carved
armchairs. Early C17 carved communion table. Panelled stalls,
desks and screen, 1925. Cross frame benches, Cl9. Lectern,
1951. Memorials include fragment of C13 cross and foliated cross
slab. C15 incised slab. 5 Stanhope hatchments. Early C19
panels with Lord's Prayer, Creed and Commandments. Classical
marble tablets, 1734, 1824 and 1836. Mosaic war memorial tablet,
1918, in alabaster frame.
Listing NGR: SK6183942570
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27002
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing