This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1236839



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wem Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 427935

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WEM RURAL C.P. SOULTON ROAD SJ 53 SW (south side) 6/161 Soulton Hall with - attached balustrade, garden walls and 28.10.60 gate piers (formerly listed as Soulton Hall including terrace balustrade and gateway) - II*

Manor house, now farmhouse. Dated 1668 for Thomas Hill, probably incorporating parts of an earlier building; minor later alterations and additions. Red brick (English Garden Wall bond) with blue brick diamond patterns to left and right on first floor and centre to parapet; stone angle quoins and chamfered plinth. Flat asphalt roof (formerly lead) concealed by coped parapet. Square plan with rectangular corner turrets. 3 storeys on chamfered plinth incorporating semi-basement to sides and rear but concealed by C18 balustrade to front; moulded stone string courses with C18 square urn finials to corners of parapet. 5-light stone mullioned and transomed windows on each floor to either side of central entrance. This has fluted Roman Doric columns with oval-shaped decoration to echinus and guttae to moulded architrave; frieze with rounded triglyphs and rosettes to metopes and moulded cornice supporting elaborately shaped pediment with armorial shield depicting 8 quarterings of the Hill family. C19 panelled door with festooned garlands and date "1668" in raised lettering to stone lintel. Lead downpipes cutting through string courses and plinth to left and right are probably original or C18. 1:2:1 windows to left and right returns, mullioned and transomed of 3 lights to centre and 2-light mullions to corner turrets; three 2-light mullion windows to semi-basement on left side. Stacks to corner turrets rebuilt in C19 red brick each have 3 attached and rebated shafts with moulded stone capping and bases probably reused from original stacks. Flat rear elevation has 2 pairs of 5-light mullioned and transomed windows grouped to centre on each floor. Plain probably mid-C18 balustrade to front with buttresses and coping approached by straight flight of 9 steps; this has shaped piers to top and bottom with carved garlands and elaborate floral decoration to inside face of moulded ramps. C20 statues of owls to top are not included. Panel with floral decoration at right end of balustrade possibly not in situ. Rectangular area to front of balustrade enclosed by red brick walls (mixed bond) on chamfered stone plinth with triangular coping attached to balustrade. Square gate piers to front have moulded stone plinths and capping surmounted by ball finials; brick projections to opposing faces with carved scroll-like stone brackets to top. Garden wall attached to left corner of enclosure wall probably also C17. Red brick without plinth and with plain stone coping; C20 stone buttresses to front. Encloses an area of approximately 30 x 50m. Interior: considerably altered C19 and C20 but retains several features of special interest. Right ground-floor room has 2 deep-chamfered spine beams with straight-cut stops and an original square-headed stone fireplace with moulded mantel-shelf. Most of the other rooms have inserted C18 and C19 cast-iron Coalbrookdale fireplaces and several of the rooms have chamfered ceiling beams and C17 or C18 panelled doors. Present main staircase is C19 but back staircase with moulded handrail and pointed finials surviving from first floor to second floor (removed below) to middle of left return is probably original. Room to left-hand rear turret has C17 rectangular oak panelling. Parts of earlier (?C16) timber framed house apparently incorporated to rear left corner; exposed square panels and close studding with incised decoration in rendered infill to presumably originally exterior wall on first floor. A medieval precursor of this house may possibly have stood on the moated house platform approximately 250m to north-east (N.G.R. SJ 546 303). The owner (March 1986) suggests that the date 1668 on the main entrance may commemorate a marriage rather than the building of the house. B.O.E. p.290.

Listing NGR: SJ5438030271

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 290

National Grid Reference: SJ 54380 30271


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1236839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 09:25:56.

End of official listing