Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237077.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 09:18:21.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hampshire (District Authority)
Colemore and Priors Dean
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SU 72783 29601


COLEMORE & PRIORS DEAN PRIORS DEAN SU 72 NW 9/3 Priors Dean Church 16.3.54 II* GV Parish church, without dedication. C11, C13, Restoration of 1856. Aisleless Romanesque building, of possible Saxon origin, with north porch and western bell turret. Cemented walls, 2 flat and 1 stepped buttresses at the south side, Norman north door, slender Victorian/Norman windows, with one original lancet and a small blocked Norman window on the south wall of the chancel. Tiled roof, hipped at the west, with a stepped bell turret (1856), having a small broach spire. Tiled roof to open porch, with a timber frame on stone walls. Interior: plain walls with deep reveals, a 'Norman' chancel arch (1856) with couple ½-columns (with cushion caps); at the west end the 4 massive timber piers (medieval) which support the bell turret (1856). The chief feature of the church is the series of monuments in the chancel, including (1) a wall monument with a Corinthian frame enclosing 2 oval recesses containing the portrait busts of John Compton and his wife Jane (died 1653 and 1634), (2) a similar wall monument with Ionic pilasters and marble portrait bust of Compton Tichborne (1637), (3) a wall monument with Corinthian flame enclosing a kneeling female figure (and 2 small children) to N Stoughton and Bridge Compton (1631), (4) a classical monument with a kneeling female figure, of Eliz Tichborne (1622) and (5) a monumental brass on a floor stone, of John Compton and Jane Michelborne (died 1606 and 1586). There is a 'Norman' font of 1856, and a chair of 1657.

Listing NGR: SU7255030025


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06198/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul T. Currie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].