CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237110
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237110.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:02:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Clenchwarton
National Grid Reference:
TF 58942 20210

Details

CLENCHWARTON CHURCH ROAD TF 52 SE

4/1 Church of St. Margaret

11.8.51 G.V. II*

Parish church. C14 brick west tower, C15 nave of carstone and ragstone with ashlar dressings. Carstone, ashlar and brick chancel of 1864. Lead roofs. 3 stage tower, externally undivided, supported by stepped diagonal west buttresses. Arched wave moulded west door below triangular-headed statuary niche. Chamfered lancet to south ringing chamber. 2-light ogee and cusped belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with stone coping. Gabled brick south porch with flanking side buttresses. Subsidiary statuary niches within engaged pinnacles flanked arched doorway with hood mould on weathered animal stops. 2-light cusped side windows. Interior of porch with barrel vault supported on 4 ogee moulded arched ribs. Double wave moulded inner doorway. Porch C15, restored 1861. Nave with stepped buttresses and rebuilt parapet. Nave windows of 3 lights with C15 panel tracery below pointed segmental heads. 2 windows to south, 3 to north. 2 2-light transomed chancel windows with panel tracery between stepped buttresses. Angle buttresses to east. Upper chancel walls and parapet of brick. 3-light chancel last window and one 2- light north window, all with panel tracery. Gabled vestry abuts north chancel wall. Interior. Double chamfered tower arch mouldings die into responds. Double chamfered chancel arch mouldings rest on corbels. Nave roof of chamfered principals dropping to wall posts on corbels. One tier chamfered butt purlins and ridge piece. One tie beam at east and west, on the latter the date 1742. Early C17 polygonal pulpit with arcaded panels below frieze of foliage patterns. Chancel roof of plain principals, one tier butt purlins and ridge piece. Marble wall monument on chancel south wall to Forster family 1742 signed J. Fellows of Lynn (John Fellows, active 1714-1742) : shouldered inscription panel flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters; coat of arms in apron, black marble obelisk on entablature behind 3 urns. Octagonal font of 1835.

Listing NGR: TF5894220210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428310
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01871/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].