Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237112.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:14:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Terrington St. Clement
National Grid Reference:
TF 55204 20436



4/4 Church of St. Clement

the address shall be amended to read CHURCHGATE WAY

Church of St. Clement



4/4 Church of St. Clement

11.8.51 G.V. I

Parish church. C13 origin now entirely C15, vestry rebuilt and chancel restored 1879, further restorations 1887-1902. Ashlar with some carstone. Leaded roofs. Nave, aisles, transepts and chancel. West front with arched doorway of 4 orders continuous fleur-de-lys mouldings below string course. 5-light panel tracery west window with 2 tiers cusped transoms is flanked to right and left by statuary niches with nodding cusped ogee canopies with crocketed finials. Inside are tiercerons vaults. Polygonal stair turrets supported by stepped western buttresses rise to panelled parapet and terminate in pepperpot pinnacles. 3-light aisle west windows with polygonal angle turrets crowned with spirlets. Diagonal buttresses at corners. Battlemented nave aisles and clerestory, the crenellations enriched with Perpendicular panelling. 3-light aisle windows with ogee-headed lights and bifurcating supermullions. Clerestory of 14 3-light segmental windows of panel tracery arranged 2 to each bay. Between each window a pilaster strip. On south each bay defined by pinnacles on parapet repeated on aisle parapet. Nave vault supported by flying buttresses on first bay from west, thereafter abandoned, although north buttresses rise above parapet to provide for further flyers. Remainder of south buttresses are stepped. Gabled south porch with diagonal south buttresses and one flanking side buttress. Plinth course with punched decorated roundels. Segmental arched doorway. South face with 2 tiers of arcaded panelling below frieze of punched roundels. Sundial in gable head. 3-light Perpendicular side windows. Full height transepts with angled buttresses to east and flat to west. Transepts originally intended with west aisle for which lozenge piers on tall polygonal bases survive embedded in walls. South front of south transept fenestrated in 3 tiers : 3 segmental ground floor windows, the outer 2 with grotesque figure carving over arches; 2 similar windows above; single window at apex. Parapet with spiked wavy moulded ornament (as ornamentation 100 years out of date so presumably C19). North transept north facade fenestrated in 2 tiers : 2 arched windows as nave aisles below similar smaller window under depressed head. Panelled parapet. Nave clerestory continues into west transept walls and is repeated on east. East gable of nave pierced by 5-light window. Polygonal rood stair towers to north and south terminating in cusped arcading below spirelet. Chancel in 3 bays. High plain base course with string course below windows. At east end square door to crypt. Stepped buttresses separate 3-light arched windows with hood mould. Buttresses angled to east. On north 2 western windows partly obscured by 2 bay crenellated vestry. String course below brick clerestory : 6 3-light panel tracery windows beneath basket arches with continuous hood moulds, the west windows on both sides of 2 lights. Crenellated parapet. 5-light transomed east window. Interior. 7 bay arcade of octagonal piers on high polygonal bases supporting moulded polygonal capitals and double chamfered arches. String course below clerestory is studded with animal or figurative carvings from which rise polygonal shafts with capitals. These alternately support statuary plinths with ogee cusped canopies or wall posts of roof. Restored roof of principals on arched braces, collars and 2 tiers butt purlins. C19 aisle roofs. Arched braces below principals and one tier butt purlins. Western screen spans nave and aisles of 1788. 8 plain pilasters below Composite capitals. Ramped and pierced central double doors and side doors to aisles. Remainder articulated by large panelling. Over transept arch 7 crocketted ogee niches stepped up to apex and flanked by shields right and left. 4 crossing arches on piers, the arches wave moulded, those to chancel on corbels. Chancel piers decorated with Perpendicular panelling. Masonry vault springers support timber quadrangular vault. 5-light window over chancel arch. Low pitched chancel roof with arched braces to principals and one tier butt purlins with ridge piece. Wall posts drop to stone corbels. Transept roofs and clerestory as nave. C13 triple arched sedilia in chancel south wall : round shafts with moulded capitals support trefoiled arches with dog-tooth decoration. Stiff leaf capitals. Similar double piscina immediately east. Octagonal C15 font. Engaged columns support panelled bowl with tracery and cusping. C17 font cover in 2 stages. Lower stage is octagonal drum with clusters of 3 painted columns supporting carved frieze. This opens to expose interior painted with landscape scenes and Baptism of Christ. Upper portion of font cover in 3 diminishing tiers of Gothic buttressing, elaborately cusped and pierced through openwork tracery. Wall monument in chancel north wall to Dorothy Edwards 1721. Alabaster. Cartouche with achievement, the latter with weeping cherubs right and left. Below is a wrought iron grill of leaf scrolls arranged in 2 panels. To west an alabaster wall monument to John and Mary Ascham 1704. Cartouche with drapery folds and 2 cherubs. Coat of arms above. North transept has painted panel with the Creed 1635. South transept Psalm 23, also 1635. Royal arms over north door to Queen Anne.

Listing NGR: TF5520420436


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01871/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].