CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237259
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237259.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:09:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Tilney St. Lawrence
National Grid Reference:
TF 54965 14860

Details

TILNEY ST. LAWRENCE CHURCH ROAD TF 51 SW

11/47 Church of St. Lawrence 11.8.51 - II*

Parish church. C14 west tower and nave, nave restored 1846 when transepts added and chancel rebuilt. Tower of carstone and ashlar, remainder rendered. Plain tile roofs. 3 stage tower, externally of 2 stages, with stepped angle buttresses. West door of 2 orders of engaged columns supporting undercut arch. Restored 2 light west window. Slit lights to ringing chamber west and south. String course below 2 light arched belfry windows. Brick crenellated parapet. Polygonal stair turret to north-east. Gabled south porch with wave moulded entrance arch below square hood mould on labels. Low side buttressing. Double hollow chamfer inner doorway with hood on head stops. Arched and moulded north doorway. Nave with 2 3-light square headed cusped windows north and south separated by stepped buttresses. All this as in Ladbroke's 1820 drawing. Remainder completely altered in 1846. Short angle buttresses to transepts. 2-light plate tracery south transept south window. One lancet to east and west walls. Tall chancel with 2 pairs lancets to south with arched priests' door between. Stepped buttresses, angled to east. 3-light stepped east window beneath blank occulus. North chancel aisle with lancet to east, paired lancets to north wall, arched priests' door and 2 further lancets. North transept as south except east wall not pierced by lancet. Interior. Double chamfered tower and crossing arches, the latter with semi-circular responds and capitals. C19 nave roof of large arched braces meeting in centre of collars. One tier through purlins and ridge piece. Crossing roof of quadripartite arches. Transept and chancel roofs as nave. 2 bay double chamfered north chancel arcade with polygonal responds. East window with internal hood mould resting on head stops depicting a king and a bishop. Trefoiled piscina in south chancel wall. Painted Royal Arms to James I 1670 in south nave wall. Plain octagonal font.

Listing NGR: TF5496514860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428482
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02119/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].