This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1237404



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Ledsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 428659

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE 42 NE LEDSHAM CLAYPIT LANE L825 (north side)

8/19 Church of All Saints 3rd February 1967


Church. Saxon and Norman, enlarged in C15, restored 1871. Magnesian limestone blocks with quoins, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north chapel. The tower, said to be a Norman heightening of a 2-storey Saxon porch (Pevsner) is of rubble finished with ashlar at the belfry stage, is unbuttressed, and has on its south side a Saxon doorway restored in 1871: a small round-headed opening with jambs and head of large blocks, and projecting imposts decorated with fine interlacing, the whole surrounded by a restored extrados band decorated with a carved vine scroll, to the right of this is a small round-headed window with head carved in one stone, and another on the level above, and below the change in masonry a modern circular clockface. The west side has a C19 Saxon-style window, and a small chamfered rectangular window above; the Norman belfry stage of ashlar has in each side a louvred window of 2 lights with a colonette and cushion capital, a corbel table and corner gargoyles, an embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, and an octagonal spire. The short 3-bay nave has in the centre a gabled C19 porch and at each side of this a 3-light Perpendicular window, both with cusped lights and traceried heads, but that on the right is slightly smaller and less regular, and that on the left has a carved head over it; at a higher level in both parts are remains of small round-headed windows, and to the right of the right-hand window the right jamb of another taller window. The north aisle has two C15 windows with deeply-chamfered surrounds, each of 3 arched lights with hollow spandrels. The chancel has C19 openings: 3 lancets, a chamfered priest door, and a 5-light east window. The north chapel has a large recessed Perpendicular east window of 3 cusped lights with traceried head.

Interior: at the west end of the nave a Norman round-headed tower arch, and above this an earlier round-headed window, at the east end a restored Saxon chancel arch, and in both sides at a high level remains of round-headed Saxon windows; Perpendicular aisle arcade of 3 bays with octagonal columns which have moulded caps and carry 2-centred double-chamfered arches; incorporated in the north wall of the aisle, remains of Anglo-Saxon masonry with interlace and cross; in the north chapel very fine family monuments with life-sized effigies: Lady Mary Bolles (d.1662) recumbent on a tomb chest; Sir John and Lady Lewis, 1677, by Thomas Cartwright, on 2 levels, reclining on a sarcophagus; and Lady Elizabeth ("Betty") Hastings, 1739 by Peter Schleemakers, reclining on a wall-mounted sarcophagus the pedestal beneath this displaying a lengthy inscription in Latin, and the whole flanked by free-standing figures of her step-sisters Piety and Prudence, each on a similar pedestal, (all these of Ledston Hall, Ledston CP, Q.V,); window on south side of chancel containing glass showing 3 achievements of Sir John Lewis, probably by Henry Gyles of York (1640-1709).

Listing NGR: SE4565029774

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 45650 29774


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237404 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 02:48:21.

End of official listing