Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of TOLLY COBBOLD BREWERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:44:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ipswich (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 17079 43165


The following building shall be added

1. 5379 IPSWICH CLIFF QUAY TM 14 SE 12/506 Tolly Cobbold Brewery


Tower brewery. 1896, by William Bradford. English bond red brick; hipped slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and moulded brick eaves brackets. L-plan. All elevations have segmental arches over cast-iron windows with middle-hung case- ments. 5-storey and attic block to north-east, of 2 (east) by 6 bay north elevations with 3 semicircular arched fourth-floor windows, gabled dormers and hipped-roofed lantern to viewing platform to rear; linked by 2-storey, 2-window range, surmounted by panelled cast-iron water tank and with reset early C17 studded door set in Tudor-arched architrave with overlights flanked by fluted pilasters to primitive caryatids supporting dentilled flat hood, to 4-storey and attic block to north-west, of 2 (north) by 3-bay (west) elevations, and 5-bay block to south-west articulated by raised pilasters and surmounted by louvred lantern to north-west and glazed lantern to south west. Interior: Fermentation tanks and tuns mostly replaced in C20; wrought-iron roof trusses to fermentation rooms, one of which (to south west) has reset copper brewing vessel of 1746; post and pad roof to granary; small steam engine by ER and F Turner.

Listing NGR: TM1707943165


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/11187/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Luke Barber. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].