CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237437
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SUSSEX GARDENS W2

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237437.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:38:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SUSSEX GARDENS W2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26632 80923

Details

TQ 2680 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER SUSSEX GARDENS, W2 65/8 25.9.51 Church of St. James GV II* Church. 1881 by G.E. Street, with west chapel (formerly chancel) of 1841-3 by Goldicutt and Gutch. Church oriented with chancel to west. Decorated style. Yellow brick. Knapped flints and stone dressings. 4-bay nave, clerestory, lower chancel. 2 stage tower to east with spire recessed behind quatrefoil parapet, corner pinnacles with flying buttresses; and 5-light window to base. 3-light windows to aisles, with flowing tracery; set in knapped flint walls. Clerestory with paired 2-light traceried windows. Interior: 2-bay chancel with 7-light flowing traceried east window, and timber tierceron vaulting. 3 oculi above chancel arch. Nave with cloistered piers to pointed nave arcade; coved roof to nave adorned with figures of angels; marble cladding to spandrels of arcade and to aisle walls. South east (liturgical) chapel with central timber column. Victorian stained glass to rest of windows. Marble font, pulpit and inlaid reredos. London Vol II, N Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TQ2663280923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428698
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07366/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Malaiperuman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].