SCALES FARM COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1237591
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1994
Statutory Address:
SCALES FARM COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCALES FARM COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 12:04:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCALES FARM COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Lorton
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 16668 25348

Details

The following building shall be added:- LORTON NY 12 NE 1629-2//10001 Scales Farm Cottage II Farmhouse, unoccupied at the time of inspection. Dated 1668 on spinebeam, with C18 alterations and additions. Of rendered rubble stone on boulder foundations, with smooth stone dressings and gable stacks, one of brick, one of stone. Westmorland slate roof laid to diminishing courses. 2-cell end-lobby entrance plan with 2 phase lean-to service range added at rear. West elevation; 2 storeys, 2 bays, with 3 window openings to ground floor, that to centre a 2 light sandstone flush mullioned window, that to the left similar but with the mullion removed.To the right, the opening has been enlarged, and has a flush surround. All openings lack frames. 2 first floor former 2-light windows lack mullions but the left bay has a covered C17 3-light mullioned window. North gable with plain doorway and inserted fire window to right, possibly a replacement for a blocked fire window in the west wall. South gable without openings. Interior; Hall and parlour served by through passage along east wall. Masonry baffle and inserted timber partition incorporating plank door enclose hall, which has chamfered and stopped spine beam extending across passage and which carries carved inscription 'T.P. 1668'. Deep stone hood to hearth rising from timber bressumer encloses early C18 surround, and former set pot to east side. Oak joists to first floor which is reached by a stone winder stair. Stone partition wall between hall and parlour, the latter with stone surround to inserted hearth. An important and little altered example of the predominant end lobby entrance plan house, now a rare survival.

Listing NGR: NY1666825348

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
428938
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].