QUARRY BANK MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1237687

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1951

Statutory Address: QUARRY BANK MILL, QUARRY BANK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUARRY BANK MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:59:42.

Location

Statutory Address: QUARRY BANK MILL, QUARRY BANK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 83443 82988

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 88 SW WILMSLOW FORMER U.D. QUARRY BANK ROAD

1/303 Quarry Bank Mill (formerly listed under Styal) 30/3/1951

GV II*

Cotton spinning and weaving mill: dated 1784 for Samuel Greg, expanded from 1808 - c.1820 to present size with addition of weaving shed of 1834 and mill offices c.1860. Restoration dated 1969. English garden wall bond red brick. Welsh slate roof, tall octagonal mill chimney. 5-storey, 23-bay east front. Right 3 bays projecting under stone-coped pediment are original portion. 20-pane windows with stone sills under cambered brick heads. Central ovolo-moulded stone doorcase with triangular pediment and repainted quaint inscription reading "Quarry Bank Mills Built by Samuel Greg Esquire of Belfast Ireland Anno Domini 1784". Clock in pediment and open bellcote with lead cupola on ridge. Central 13 bays have similar 20-pane windows and left ? bays project under a gambrel roof. Further additions to south end include 8-bay mill offices with hipped roof. West front has lower range along river side and date of 1810 over wheel out-flow. At south end is a 4-storey weaving shed with flat stone wedged heads to lower windows. Interior: Floors divided by simple iron columns carrying wooden joists. 2 closed string stone staircases. Mill offices retain their original fittings.

Massive wheelpit of 1819 formerly contained 32 ft. diameter waterwheel by Thomas Hewes, replaced by 2 turbines in 1904. A 25 ft diameter waterwheel similar in design to Hewes's and by his pupil Sir William Fairbairn, from Glasshouses Mill, Pateley Bridge is soon to be installed (1983). For full history see M B Rose The Gregs of Styal National Trust, 1978.

Listing NGR: SJ8344382988

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 414953

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rose, M B, The Gregs of Styal, (1978)

End of official listing