THE TEMPLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237890
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
THE TEMPLE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237890.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:05:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TEMPLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Southill
National Grid Reference:
TL 14491 43179

Details

TL l4SW SOUTHILL SOUTHILL PARK

5/247 The Temple 16.1.52 (formerly listed as fishing temple with Southill Park House)

- II*

Garden building, known as the Temple or the Fishing Temple. Circa 1800, by Henry Holland for Samuel Whitbread II as part of his remodelling of Southill Park. Light mottled brick, with ashlar and stucco, and slate roofs. Small rectangular Tuscan temple flanked by screen walls to W and E, with small cottage attched to W end. The temple is sited on the N side of the lake, N of and in view of Southill Park (house). N elevation: temple has tetrastyle pedimented port-cochere. 4 pilasters to cella wall, with double doors to central bay. Temple is flanked by round-headed archways, the flanking screen wall with blind arcading in same proportions. Screen walls terminate in round-headed carriage arches in line with porte-cochere. S elevation:temple has tetrastyle pedimented portico with 4 pilasters to cella wall. French windows to each of the 3 bays. Plain screen walls. Single-storeyed L-plan cottage projects from end of LH wall, rather plain, with cast iron lattice casements. Temple interior: retains original plasterwork Corinthian pilasters and ornate ceiling. The temple formerly contained 2 marble statues. (C Hussey, "Southill Park", Country Life, 12th July 1930, p.48.)

Listing NGR: TL1449143179

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415242
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1930), 48
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].