PARISH CHURCH OF ST REMIGUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1237953
Date first listed:
13-Dec-1957
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST REMIGUS, OLD GREAT NORTH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1237953.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 18:05:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST REMIGUS, OLD GREAT NORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Water Newton
National Grid Reference:
TL 10883 97322

Details

WATER NEWTON OLD GREAT NORTH ROAD TL 1097 (North Side) 12/161 Parish church of St Remigus 13.12.57 GV II*

Parish church. C12 stones reused. C13 chancel and south aisle, mid C13 north aisle and lengthened have. Early C14 west tower, and south aisle rebuilt and possibly widened; south porch added. Nave clerestory C14. Alterations in late C14 and C15 include remodelled doorway to tower and closing the west end of the north aisle. Restoration 1887, chancel arch, and north arcade and aisle rebuilt. Walls of limestone rubble with Barnack dressings and ashlar limestone. Roofs of Collyweston stone slate and lead. South elevation: West tower of two stages with corbel table with mask-corbels and small carved animals at base of spire; reset lancet window and belfry window of two pointed lights cut into round arches with detached shafted jambs and chevron ornament, (on west wall a niche with moulded jambs, two-centred head and label with figure of a man, on inscribed panel below 'Vous ke par issi passey pur le alme Thomas Purdeu priez'). Spire of ashlar, with two ranges of lights, the lower of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a gabled head, the upper, a single light with trefoiled gabled head, restored top of spire. Nave clerestory, three windows each of two pointed lights in two-centred arches with moulded labels and mask and head stops; late C13 south doorway with two-centred arch of two moulded orders with moulded label and mask stops; three mid C14 windows each of two square-headed lights. South porch with two-centred outer archway of two chamfered orders with moulded label and mask stops, responds with attached shafts and moulded capitals and bases, gable with carved apex stone. Chancel:three windows, two mid C14 with two square-headed lights moulded labels and mask stops, low-side window of one square-headed light; mid C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental head, earlier windows jambs visible. Interior: Nave arcades of three bays; north arcade C13 restored 1887 with round arches of one chamfered order with plain labels, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; south arcade, two eastern bays early C13 with arches similar to north arcade, the eastern column is quatrefoil in plan and western column octagonal, both with moulded caps and bases. Tower doorway with two-centred head and chamfered jambs; stair turret doorway with square head. Piscina in east wall and south aisle. Bracket in south aisle. Chancel arch restored reusing some old material. Piscina C14 with chamfered jambs and segmental arch, sedilia of three bays with moulded two-centred arches and labels with head-stops, shafts between the bays with moulded capitals and bases. Brackets on east wall. Chancel screen, restored five bays C15; two bench ends in chancel with poppy-heads and one pew-end with carved heads. Font, C15 octagonal bowl quatrefoiled and sixfoiled panels and modern step. For monuments, floor slabs and memorial glass see RCHM, and VCH. Roofs restored, nave roof with six reset C15 carved angels.

R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p285 V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p231 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p364

Listing NGR: TL1088397322

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415297
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 285
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 231
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968), 364

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07737/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard S. Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].