THE OLD GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1238145
Date first listed:
04-May-1990
Statutory Address:
THE OLD GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1238145.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 15:00:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD GOVERNOR'S HOUSE AND ATTACHED HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Yaxley
National Grid Reference:
TL 16461 91182

Details

The following building shall be added:-

YAXLEY NORMAN CROSS TL 1691 20/192 The Old Governor's House and attached house GV II Governor's house, now two dwellings. c 1796, extended c 1816. Rendered brick; concrete tiles to hipped M-shaped roof to 1796 block, and hipped Welsh slate roof to 1816 extension; rendered brick stacks. Double - depth plan to 1796 range (The Old Governor's House), extended to left (south) in 1816. East elevation of 1796 range of 3-storey, symmetrical 3 window range with 1980's door and sashes; west elevation of 2-storey, 2-window range with glazing bars to semi-circular arched sashes raised quoin strips and parapet continued around side elevations. One-storey extension of 5 (west) x 4 bays with raised quoin strips and parapets; west elevation has central entrance bay with panelled door and fanlight set in semi-circular arched architrave, and portico with fluted columns, and semi-circular arched sashes with glazing bars; south elevation has 12-pane sashes set in square-headed architraves. Interior: Old Governor's House has panelled doors set in moulded wood architraves, open-wellstaircase with stick balusters ramped handrail; early C19 first-floor fireplace with roundels. Interior of adjoining house not inspected. Built as part of the prisoner of war camp (now a scheduled Ancient Monument) established in 1796 to house 8,000 Dutch and French prisoners and the first purpose-built prisoner of war camp.

Listing NGR: TL1646191182

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
415528
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].